Collective Worship & RE
Our School's Christian Values
At Todmorden CE J, I & N School, we believe it is important to develop core values by which to live and which help to develop a moral and spiritual awareness.
The gifts of Perseverance, Love, Hope and Honesty are the values that our whole school community want our children to leave with. Whilst these gifts are inclusive of human values, we try to anchor them into the Christian faith by relating them to the Bible through stories and readings.
Our Christian Values for Collective Worship this year (2023 to 2024):
Collective Worship in our school
The aim of Collective Worship in our school is to provide the opportunity for pupils to:
- Engage in an act of whole school community worship.
- Express praise and thanksgiving to God.
- Be still and reflect.
- Share moments of awe and wonder.
- Explore the big questions of life and respond to national events.
- Foster respect and deepen spiritual awareness.
- Reflect on the character of God and on the teachings of Christ.
- Affirm Christian values and attitudes.
- Share each other's joys and challenges.
- Celebrate special times in the Christian calendar.
- Share our collective goals and aims, rooted through our values, for the week.
- To celebrate times when our school or children have flourished in their gifts, talents, and achievements.
Collective Worship Rota
We have a Whole School Collective Worship on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Each week, there will be a theme and corresponding bible story.
On Mondays, we will have a Collective Worship with Mrs Leadbitter.
On Tuesdays, we have praise.
On Wednesdays, classes will take turns in leading the Collective Worship.
On Thursdays we either share worship with CICS or a group of children are given the chance to lead worship.
On Friday, we have a whole school celebration assembly.
Collective Worship Committee – Who are we, and what do we do?
We are a group of pupils, elected by each class each year. We help to run our daily act of worship and other aspects of our work as a church school. In our special Committee we take lots of responsibility for planning, leading, and evaluating collective worship across school. Our job is to monitor and observe Collective Worship and have our say on what we would like to see and happen.
We regularly meet up and discuss ideas!
What do our children say about Collective Worship?
We have moments to reflect on ourselves and how to be better Christians (KS2 child)
We share stories about Jesus' life and how it is important for our lives now (KS2 child)
I like the hymns we sing, and when we stand up to do the actions (KS1 child)
I like when we get to write our own prayers (KS1 child)
I like when we get to be involved like getting to act out Bible stories (KS1 child)
We sing songs - we all sing them well (KS1 child)
It makes me feel happy thinking about the ways we can help others (KS1 child)
The person leading tells us to ‘have a think’ and we get time to think about others (KS2 child)
I like when we sing or do drama, and we get to do it ourselves (KS2 child)
You can sit and think about what is being said (KS2 child)
We pray for people around the world, like Ukraine (KS2 child)
I like it when we learn new things about God and how we can help the world (KS2 child)
We think about ways we can help other people and build each other up (KS2 child)
Our Visitors - CICS (Christians in Calderdale Schools)
We are very lucky to welcome back the CICS team for our morning worships. The team visit us every other Thursday, leading our worships by 'Opening the Book'. The children enjoy learning about the different bible stories, especially when they got to interact with the story and cheer and gasp. A few children even get to take part in the performance and definitely looked the part. We always look forward to our next visit when we Open the Book.
- Develop pupils' own thinking and understanding of Christianity.
- Explore the significant theological concepts within Christianity as part of developing pupils wider religious, theological and cultural literacy.
- Support teachers in developing their own knowledge and understanding of Christianity theology to be able to teach with confidence
Parent RE Information Booklet
Please have a look below at our information booklet or pick one up at the end of the main corridor