Our main aim is to provide exciting, stimulating topics, based on history and geography programmes of study, which the children become fully absorbed in. We strive to encompass as many curriculum subjects into each topic, making them relevant and meaningful for our children. Our investigative approach helps children take learning in their own direction and doesn’t set a limit on how or what each child learns.
As part of our cross curricular approach we try to give our children as many life experiences as possible, we aim to do this by getting out into the community regularly and have many trips.
To meet the needs of our children we have developed our curriculum further so that:
- Learning is as far as possible based on quality experiences, visits and visitors.
- The arts are valued and celebrated.
- Children learn a new language in French lessons which are taught every week in Key stage 2.
- We have a full timetable for free after school clubs offering extensions to our curriculum in sport, technology, spiritual development, computing and the arts.
- All children from Year 1 to 6 are given the opportunity to learn to play a musical instrument.
- All children have access to an online reading club at home.
- All children can take home a library book every week to engage them in reading.
- Children regularly take part in charity events to foster British values.
- All children plan and lead their own collective worship each half term.
- The children have a voice in the school through taking on roles in our Student Council, our Collective Worship Committee, becoming a house captain and through the Headteacher Tea Parties.
- We have a well thought out transition plan which includes lessons planned and delivered by Todmorden High School.