Reading: We aim for our children to develop a love of books as soon as they arrive. Books are used to plan and teach topics and enhance our curriculum.
- Wordless reading books introduced in Owls, school reading scheme followed in Rec linked to children’s phonics knowledge and ability.
- Weekly library visits
- Phase 1 phonics taught throughout Nursery with letter sounds being introduced when the children are ready (spring/summer terms)
- Read Write Inc phonics scheme is used systematically through the whole school.
- Phonics lessons taught daily in Reception and Owls.
- Reading areas in the provision providing high quality books
- Teachers and staff read stories to children from high-quality age-appropriate texts at every available opportunity.
- Intervention in place for those children needing extra support and teaching in reading and phonics.
- Labelling and language displayed throughout the provision
- Children have access to online reading resources.
Writing: Opportunities to write and make marks are provided throughout the provision.
- Children are encouraged to write in the role-play area, writing area, maths area, outdoors as well as other areas of the provision.
- A range of writing tools are provided to encourage writing (pencils, pens, paintbrushes, chalk etc)
- Opportunities to write for different purposes are provided such as writing lists, captions, short narritives, letters, information, cards etc
- Letter formation is introduced in Nursery through Read Write Inc phonics teaching. Children are encouraged to form letters and begin to write letters from their name. (Read Write Inc rhymes to help with formation)
- Guided writing sessions in Rec to inspire children to write independently based on the topic being taught and key texts are used as a basis for writing.